Friday, October 26, 2007

Carnival - panic?

We have a carnival coming up. I don't want to overstate anything but...it is only the event that our PTO is judged by. The picnic comes in a very close second. However, the carnival is a huge event for our school and it can be a fundraiser if done correctly. Besides, everyone knows who the PTO is now. They'll have a face to put with disappointment.

I've seen it done 3 different ways now and all were good. Last year's could have used some help in the chuckwagon but for the most part was enjoyable.

This year, since I'm the President, I am extremely nervous. Not because I don't think my esteemed Vice President can handle it, I think she'll do a fantastic job and and she'll still not think it was good enough. No, I have all the faith in the world in her.

When I allow myself to feel my true feelings, instead of mushing them down into the pit, nay-nether regions - of my stomach, it's much like the feeling I get (or used to get) as I would ride the newest roller coaster at Six Flags. I'm strapped in, can't get out. I know the people who built this ride had safety in mind. I know the metal (or wood in some cases) is strong enough and that the bolts will hold. Well, at least they have up to this point. And there's where I panic. As long as I don't think about what could happen, I'm not necessarily fine but OK enough to ride the ride. As long as the mantra in my head remains "the people who built this ride had my safety in mind and would be in big trouble should they fail", I am not trying to claw my way out.

I'm in this ride and I CANNOT get off. It has started up that first huge hill, the one I can't see beyond... Yep, that's what I'm really feeling right now. Panic...sheer panic.

No comments: